Monday, July 14, 2008

Sermon Thought for Sunday, July 27, 2008, 11th after Pentecost

Genesis 29:15-28 - Jacob loved Rachel; so he said, "I will serve you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel."

Psalm - He has always been mindful of his covenant, the promise he made for a thousand generations:

Romans 8:26-39 - … nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Matthew 13:31-33, 44-52 - The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed - The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took - The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field - the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea

Initial Thoughts

It’s a couple of weeks before I preach again (July 27), so here are my initial thoughts on the scriptures appointed for the day.

The lesson from Genesis continues the story of Jacob and the establishment of the nation of Israel. This is a story that I have not been focusing on over the last few weeks except in the broader themes that impact Paul’s letters and Matthew’s Gospel, such as knowing and accepting God’s will. Of course the “covenant” referred to in the Psalm is the one established between God and Jacob’s grandfather Abraham (and Abraham’s descendants forever, that’s us). The covenant is about the relationship with God and us and particularly God’s promise not to leave us, to always be present with us. One of the ways this can happen is through prayer. The section of Paul’s letter to the Romans that we read is about prayer. I might like to look at the four parables in Matthew’s Gospel and see what they tell us about prayer. You may have also noted that the book I recommend (on this site) and the book I am reading are both about prayer.

If anyone has any thoughts about this please leave a comment or e-mail me. I understand that some people have been having trouble leaving comments. I don’t know what to do about it. Google manages that, not me. So, I welcome e-mails too, anything that might improve a sermon.

No comments: