Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"You're doing the right thing"

By Mick Francis

Recently I had a problem. The nature of that problem is not important. What is important is what I did about it. I thought through all the possible ways the problem could be resolved, and after some careful deliberation I concluded how I would like to see the problem solved. In determining how the problem should be worked out, like many of us, I tried to figure out which end would be best for me, not for the other people involved. I can admit it. I am selfish and like things my own way.

I decided to pray to God for the end most suited to my needs. God told me I was doing the right thing. I was pleased. I waited as the problem came to a head and was eventually resolved. However, I was not so pleased to find that the ending was indeed NOT the one I had prayed to have happen. God had played a trick on me, or so I thought. I couldn't figure out why I had clearly gotten the response that I was doing the right thing, only to then be let down.

The next Sunday I was sitting in church and reading the bulletin. I came across a notice about the Week of Prayer for Christina Unity. I couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the day, and could not figure out why. There had to be something about it. Later that day, I as talking with a friend about the problem of the previous week when it struck me like a brick – God told me I was doing the right thing. I assumed that meant asking for a particular resolution to my problem. But God was trying to tell me that praying was the right thing to do, and that prayer is important every day, not just when we need a problem solved. Will this valuable lesson learned stick with me? I pray that it does.

No comments: