Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It Ain't Over

Now before someone tells me that “ain’t” ain’t a word, please note that it’s in quotations.  So, I didn’t say it, Yogi Berra did.

Yogi Berra was a famous baseball player and manager.  He is a member of the Hall of Fame and appeared in 21 World Series.  Today, he is perhaps best known for twisting the English language in ways that simply cause us to shake our head and mutter something about needing a nap.  Yogi Berra was the guy who first uttered the logical,It ain't over till it's over.” He also said the proverbial, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

I should say that he is reported to have said these things because he also said, “I never said most of the things I said.”  But good authority says that Yogi Berra did say, “You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

I heard a comedian say that, as he gets older, he’s started asking himself the question, “why am I here?” But not in some sort of philosophical or religious way, “I’m just in the basement and I’m wondering why am I here.”

We all know the feeling of not knowing why we’re here or where we’re going. So, today’s Gospel lesson has an important message for us, uttered not by Yogi Berra but by Jesus, you can’t serve two masters.  Obviously, no one can serve two masters.  We still have to live in the world and in all our doings Jesus is reminding us to whom we really belong – we are the Lord’s.

All that’s being asked of us is that whatever fork we take in the road, be devoted to God.  It matters that we be careful to know where we’re going and to invite others along the way.  Next Sunday is Back To Church Sunday and it is a wonderful way of reminding ourselves to be not just a welcoming community but also an inviting community.  Next Sunday (Sept.25) invite someone to come to church with you.

No comments: