Monday, October 5, 2015

Thanksgiving

Perhaps we can be forgiven, what with all the hype, for thinking that Thanksgiving is all about pilgrims starving on Plymouth Rock who are saved from death by the generosity and knowledge of the local natives. This is a great story, but largely a work of fiction. In reality the pilgrims were celebrating a good harvest like they had back in England, with a religious service and a feast.

At the core of our faith is expressing our deep gratitude for all the blessing we enjoy. The harvest time of the year seems particularly appropriate for giving thanks to God, the creator and maker of all that is, for blessing us with this awesome creation.

It’s a good exercise for us to list, even if it’s just in our heads, the blessings we enjoy. We can start with the harvest, but we can move on to the people and things on our lives that we enjoy. By the way, inevitable, on my list of things I’m thankful for is – laughter. Perhaps, my favourite scene in Mary Poppins is the song, “I Love to Laugh.” Uncle Albert and Bert sing, while floating near the ceiling, about laughter and they share a couple of jokes. If I could have a personal anthem; that song would certainly be in the running.

So, I’m thankful for the beauty and bounty of creation, for the people in my life, for this parish, for God’s love and for laughter. But, I also know that I am not expected to hoard any of the blessings I enjoy. And like laughter, each blessing in my life is all the more sweeter when shared.


A core value we have as a Christian people is to share. We share the Good News, we share all our blessings and we do all in our power to ensure that no one goes without. That way, “the more we're a merrier we.”

No comments: