Monday, November 16, 2015

You’re Not the Boss of Me!

The last Sunday of the Church year has gone by several names, “Reign of Christ,” “Christ the King,” and my personal favorite, “the Sunday next before Advent.” That last one seems so Anglican.

When Pope Pius XI named it “Christ the King Sunday” in 1925 there were three things he was trying to accomplish: 1) that nations should recognize the freedom of the Church; 2) that political, corporate and educational leaders should respect Christ, and; 3) Christians should have courage and let Christ reign in our hearts, minds, wills and bodies.

Nice! But, when you really think about it, it is a subversive kind of day, a day to let all in authority know that, “you’re not the boss of me… Christ is!” Oh sure, I’m still going to vote because I believe my vote makes a difference. I’m still going to pay taxes because my taxes pay for hospitals. I’m still going to send my kids to school because I want them to learn how to think. But, when it comes right down to it, I’m going to let Christ reign in my heart, mind, will and body. At least, I will pray for the courage to let Christ reign in me.

That’s really the problem isn’t it? I say I want Christ to reign in my heart. I can reasonable consider the benefits of letting Christ reign in my heart. Yet somehow, I let other considerations take priority. I can even waist time by blaming others, or this modern world, or even the devil, but it’s all me. Political, corporate and educational leaders do little to discourage my weak commitment to Christ the King.


What if I, and a few others, really let Christ reign our hearts, minds, wills and bodies? What if we really let the subversive nature of the Gospel be the boss of us? I don’t know, I’m just asking – what if?

No comments: