Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Resurrection - yeah, so?


In the First Letter to the Corinthians, Saint Paul writes, “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways.” (13.11)

For many children (and adults I suppose), Easter will be about candy and chocolates, which is okay, I guess. For me, it used to mean a starchy shirt and tie, which I was made to wear to church. But then, as Paul write, he became and adult and “put an end to childish ways.” Easter, as you know, has meaning way beyond starchy shirts and hollow chocolate bunnies.

Have you every tried to tell somebody something really important and each point is met with a, “yeah, so?”? Every point in the Gospels could be met with a, yeah so?

A professor of mine asked me to explain what I believed about Jesus Christ. At the end of what I thought was a good and thoughtful explanation she asked, “so, what difference does that make to the skipper of a lobster trawler getting ready to set traps.”

Well, I couldn’t say that if he believed, and if he could tolerate a starchy shirt he would be saved.

Sometimes I think that the invitation to becoming a follower of Jesus Christ should sound more like a warning.

The Good News for any skipper, should he/she choose to accept it, is that they are no longer responsible for just one trawler, but for the crew of every trawler. For that is what God calls us to do: to love all that God loves, to love the crew of every trawler.

Celebrating the Resurrection is a way for us, as a community, to say, YES, to the invitation to be a part of God’s fleet of children who love all that God has made. May this be our Easter commitment. 


No comments: