Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Take One


I have a friend who says, “if someone offers you a breath mint – take it!” For if it’s offered, it’s necessary and of benefit to everyone concerned. The same is true of sabbaticals… it just took me a while to get the message. A sabbatical is of benefit to everyone involved.

I have made a commitment to learn to play the guitar and that I will do, or at least try. To satisfy the rules of the CRA I need to prove that this kind of study is of benefit to my employer. There’s a wonderful Marx Brothers skit where Chico is negotiating to have the Marx Brother perform at a show. The schedule of payment, based on the number of performances and rehearsals, was complicated. The joke was that the fewer number of each caused the price to go up. When the manage asked, “well, what if you don’t play at all?” Chico said, “Oh, you can’t afford that!”

Perhaps that will be the next big fundraiser for us – how much will you pay for me NOT to play? And I can’t even imagine the money we could raise for me not to sing!

Onto more serious matters. I am happy that the Rev’d John Ferguson agreed to be the priest-in-charge while I’m away. He has tremendous experience as a priest and I am sure that you will enjoy his time amongst us. And he will not be on his own, Jay and Ted and Cathy and Bonnie have all said that they are willing to help in any way they can. And Carolyn Jenkins will be holding it all together in the office. The Wardens and the Parish Council are fully behind my sabbatical leave and I am sure each one is willing to help.

The next three months will be outside my comfort zone and I believe a growing edge for me. I think it benefits me and everyone involved. I thank you all for this opportunity.

No comments: