Thursday, September 6, 2018

Eager to Return

I was asked the other day how I was feeling about returning after being away on sabbatical. The only word that came to mind was, “eager.” It’s a fitting word too. I am eager to return to my role as rector and servant to this community.

My inquisitor, after hearing me say that I was “eager” to return, quipped that I should have my head examined. Perhaps so, I thought, but not my heart. My heart is just fine and I love the ministry I’ve been called to and I love the people with whom I serve.

In our Gospel lesson today (Mark 7:24-37) Jesus encounters a woman who is, we are told, of Syrophoenician origin. That means her family is Greek, but she was born in Syria. In the story she is in Tyre with Jesus, which means they are both in a foreign place. Tyre is in Lebanon (not Israel). In this sense these two are equals, foreigners in a foreign land, and as non-citizens they are without rights, they are less than human, no better than dogs.

It seems peculiar that Jesus would call her a dog, except for the fact that they are, in these circumstances equals. The point then, is that God’s grace spills out over creation for everyone, regardless of their status. This woman’s daughter is restored to health.

The healing stories in the New Testament are wonderful and I would never doubt them. But, if we endow them with meaning, much like we do with the parables, they become wonderfully relevant.

On his was home from the foreign lands Jesus encounters a man who is both deaf and mute. After meeting Jesus he can now hear (the Word of God) and he can now speak (the Word of God). We have been blessed with the ability to hear, see and understand the Word of God. Now it becomes our ministry to proclaim by word and action the abundant love of God that rains upon us like crumbs from a large table.

It strikes most of us as a bit odd that Jesus continually instructs people not to tell others about what he’s doing. But how can they not? Their lives are completely changed. They are living testimonies of their Divine encounter. It reminds me of that great spiritual hymn, “How Can I keep From Singing.” Please think of that hymn on Sunday morning (Sept. 9) because sometimes I can’t keep from singing (or something that approximates singing).

No comments: