Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Not Theological – since When?


I admit, I’m not likely to get up early in the morning to watch live TV coverage of a wedding, not even a royal wedding. Unless the preacher is the Presiding Bishop of the US, Michael Curry. I’m a fan and before it was announced that he was last summer’s preacher I had already watched many sermons and interviews available on YouTube.

I’m glad that he didn’t disappoint. He was his usual enthusiastic self and I, along with most everyone else, was pleased. He represented the Christian faith, and Anglicanism very well.

Today, if you Google or try and YouTube Curry the first hundred or so results are royal wedding related. And some are highly critical of him. Many reporters think that everyone present, from the Queen on down were shocked by Curry. That’s about the second dumbest thing I’ve heard about it. He’s a well-known preacher, whose style (and content) was vetted long before he was invited.

The dumbest thing I’ve heard about the sermon was that it lacked theology. Please read a great deal of frustration in this next sentence… Since When Is Love Not Theological?

At the very core of the Good News is love. Jesus Christ is the embodiment of the Word of God and that Word is Love. If a Christian is expected to think something else, I guess I might not be one. If Bishop Michael Curry had stood there for 10 minutes and repeatedly uttered the word “love.” It would have been perfectly theological. Perhaps not quite so engaging, but perfectly theological.

On the fourth Sunday of Advent the candle called “love,” is lit. His birth, his life, his teaching, his crucifixion, his resurrection is all about the overflowing love God has for all that God made.

No comments: